When renting a vehicle, it is important to ensure you make the right choices for your unique needs.
WHICH CAR TO RENT?
First, decide on the size and type of vehicle you require. Generally, the smaller the vehicle is and the fewer the frills, the lower the rental charge. When making your decision, consider the following:
- Will a small runabout do for a short trip?
- How many passengers will be in the car?
- Do you require more comfort such as air-conditioning, ample space for holiday luggage etc?
CATEGORIES OF CAR RENTAL VEHICLES IN SOUTH AFRICA
Within the above broad categories, many car rental operators have one or more groups of vehicles. For example, in the ECONOMY category, you may find two to four different groups, some with air-conditioning or power-steering, some without.
In addition to the rental charges for the number of days rented and kilometres travelled, there may be other charges applicable to your rental. These could include:
- Waivers for accident damage and/or theft. You will save costs in this area if you know exactly what it is you are paying for. Find out how waivers are structured and understand that car rental companies require that their vehicles be returned in the same condition they were at time of rental. Therefore any costs incurred through damage and/or theft will be for your account – minus the cover provided by the waiver option you’ve purchased.
- Additional Driver Fee. In the event that you nominate another person to drive the vehicle at any time during the rental period, an Additional Driver Fee will be charged. This is not insurance and should a non-listed person drive the vehicle, any waiver cover taken will fall away.
- Delivery and Collection Charges. Save costs by collecting the vehicle from your nearest car rental outlet, as opposed to having the vehicle delivered to you.
WHICH CAR RENTAL COMPANY TO CHOOSE?
We recommend that you always choose a supplier that is an accredited SAVRALA Member. Click here to view the directory of SAVRALA accredited Rental Members.
WHY CHOOSE AN ACCREDITED SAVRALA MEMBER?
Our members are bound by a Code of Conduct and Charter. Should any dispute arise, SAVRALA will endeavour to assist in its resolution.
Our members offer a variety of rates which are structured to meet a range of rental requirements, from long term rentals (including limited free kilometres) to lower daily per-kilometre charges for short city business trips.
Visit our individual members’ websites or contact their call centres to find out which vehicle options and special rates may be available at the time of your intended rental.
HOW TO HANDLE ACCIDENTS OR VEHICLE THEFT
In the unfortunate event of an accident or, should your rental car be stolen, please be sure to follow the correct procedures:
- Obtain as much information as you can relating to the incident
- Alert the car rental company as soon as possible
- Complete the car rental company’s documents / forms relevant to accident or theft
- In the event of an accident, never admit fault or responsibility to any other party
USEFUL THINGS TO BE AWARE OF WHEN RENTING A CAR
24-HOUR BILLING PERIOD
Daily car rental rates run for a 24-hour period from the time the vehicle was rented. Returning the vehicle after the check-out time leads to an additional day’s charge (1 hour’s grace is usually granted).
A vehicle not returned on the date shown on the rental agreement is regarded as ‘overdue’ for return and any waiver option taken will be negated in the event of an accident/theft occurring during the overdue period.
It is a legal requirement to carry your driver’s licence on your person whenever you are behind the steering wheel of a vehicle. Expect your car rental operator to ask to see your driver’s licence at point of rental.